On Friday, May 1, 2020, Governor Andrew Cuomo issued Executive Order No. 202.26 which modifies the rule under which school districts are to conduct the 2020 annual meeting for the election of school board members and budget votes.
School board elections and budget votes will now take place on Tuesday, June 9, 2020.
Manner of Voting
Qualified voters will vote only by absentee ballots. School districts will send out an absentee ballot to all qualified voters, with a postage-paid return envelope. Please note the district office is closed to the public.
Absentee ballots must be returned to the District Clerk by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 9, 2020. Please note the district office is closed to the public.
No signatures are required on Nominating Petitions. Nominating petitions must be emailed to the District Clerk email@example.com or sent via US mail to Brandy Pierce Nolette, District Clerk, 29 School Lane, PO Box 180, Willsboro, NY 12996 by Monday, May 11, 2020 by 5:00 p.m.
Eligibility to run for Member of the Board of Education
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be an incompetent.
- Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year.
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year.
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- May not be a current employee of the school board.
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
Notice of Vacancies
- Number of Seats Available: Two
- Term: Two Expired Three-Year Terms from 7/1/2020 – 6/30/2023
- Seats currently held by: Herb Longware & Emily Phillips
The Board of Education has ongoing registration. Any person who is not already registered to vote, upon proving that he or she is entitled to vote may register until June 2, 2020 by contacting the District Clerk at 518-963-4456 or visiting the Essex County Board of Elections website at https://www.co.essex.ny.us/wp/board-of-elections/. No person will be entitled to vote whose name does not appear on the School District Register or who has not registered with the Essex County Board of Elections to vote at the general election.